What are the odds getting a female starter chance in Pokemon? (What are the chances of getting a female starter?)

As someone who loves to play Pokémon, I have always wanted to start my journey with a female starter Pokémon. However, I soon realized that getting one is not an easy task.

The chances of getting a female starter Pokemon depend on the generation, species, and game version.

In this article, I will explain the probability of getting a female starter Pokemon and how it has changed.

I will also share some methods to increase your chances of getting a female starter Pokemon and the benefits of having one.

By the end of this article, you will better understand the gender mechanics in Pokemon and how to get your desired starter.

How rare is a female starter in Pokemon?


Via Tenor

Female starters are quite rare in Pokemon🥺. In the world of Pokemon, the ratio of male to female starter Pokémon is usually 87.5% to 12.5%, respectively. This indicates that there is only a 1 in 8 chance of getting a female starter Pokémon🤯.

However, this rule does not apply to Pikachu, who has a gender ratio of 50-50, making it the only starter Pokemon with an equal chance of being male or female.

It is worth noting that the trainer’s gender has no bearing on the gender of the starter Pokemon. Hence, female starter Pokemon are quite uncommon in the world of Pokemon.

What are the odds of getting a female starter diamond?


What are the odds of getting a female starter diamond?
Female starter diamond. Image source: Pinterest

The chances of starting with a female Pokemon in Pokemon Diamond are the same as in other Pokemon games, which is 12.5% or 1 in 8. This means that getting a female starter in Pokemon Diamond is rare.

If you’re looking to get a female starter in Pokemon Diamond, there is no guaranteed method to influence the gender of the starter you receive; it’s essentially a matter of luck🤗.

It’s important to remember that these odds apply each time you start a new game or reset your game to choose a new starter😄.

What is the gender rate of the starter Pokémon?


What is the gender rate of the starter Pokémon?
Gender rate of the starter Pokémon. Image source: Pinterest

In most cases, the gender distribution among starter Pokémon leans heavily towards males, with an approximately 87.5% likelihood of being male and a 12.5% likelihood of being female😀.

This results in a 7:1 ratio in favor of males. This intentional gender skewing is implemented to increase the challenge of breeding more of these Pokémon, given that players typically receive them as gifts or through Fossils rather than capturing them in the wild.

Here’s a table that summarizes the gender ratio for some of the starter Pokémon:

Pokémon

Males

Females

Bulbasaur

87.5

12.5

Charmander

87.5

12.5

Squirtle

87.5

12.5

Pikachu

50

50

Chikorita

87.5

12.5

Cyndaquil

87.5

12.5

Totodile

87.5

12.5

Please note that Pikachu, when used as a starter Pokémon, does not follow the typical 87.5% male and 12.5% female ratio and instead has an equal gender distribution.

Is it better to have a female starter Pokémon?


Is it better to have a female starter Pokémon?
Female starter Pokémon. Image source: Pinterest

Opting for a female starter Pokémon can yield various advantages:

  1. Expanded Breeding Opportunities: A female starter facilitates quicker breeding, allowing you to breed with compatible Pokémon and hatch new eggs, thereby diversifying your collection.
  2. Efficient Egg Move Breeding: Female starters enable efficient breeding for egg moves, allowing you to pass on specific moves from parents to offspring.
  3. Ditto-Free Breeding: Unlike the common use of Ditto as a breeding partner, a female starter eliminates the need for Ditto when breeding Pokémon.
  4. Increased Rarity: Female starter Pokémon are comparatively rarer than their male counterparts due to the skewed gender ratio, enhancing the challenge of obtaining them.
  5. Inherited Stats and Abilities: A female starter can pass down specific stats and abilities to its offspring during breeding.
  6. Shiny Possibilities: While shiny Pokémon is rare, having a female starter enhances the likelihood of hatching a shiny one.

Choosing a female starter Pokémon offers multiple benefits, such as enhanced breeding opportunities, efficient egg move inheritance, and increased rarity.

Why do the starters only have a 12.5% chance to be female?


Via Tenor

Most starter Pokémon exhibit a gender ratio heavily skewed toward males, around 87.5% male and 12.5% female.

This deliberate gender distribution aims to increase the challenge of breeding them, given that players usually obtain starters as gifts or through Fossils rather than capturing them in the wild.

Interestingly, some wild Pokémon, like Combee and Salandit, share this skewed gender ratio. This choice is likely because only the females of these species evolve, placing an extra layer of challenge for players seeking them in the game.

Despite occasional player dissatisfaction with this gender ratio, particularly those advocating an equal 50/50 distribution, game developers have maintained the 12.5% female gender ratio for most starter Pokémon.

The ongoing decision to retain this ratio sparks discussions about breeding difficulty and potential gender biases within the game.

Leave a Comment