Pokèmon Nuzlocke is a set of rules you impose on your Pokèmon journey to increase the game’s difficulty. This is especially applicable to players who are bored by the ease of Pokèmon games or enjoy a challenge.
The friendliness and overall approachability of Pokèmon have greatly contributed to its appeal with its steady formula and adorable features. It is suitable for a wide range of ability levels and ages, but longtime fans like me do not find Pokèmon challenging enough for them as it is. The Nuzlocke challenge is more interesting, the perfect game for an exciting thrill you have to try out. Read on to discover more about Pokèmon Nuzlocke and how to get started.
What is Pokèmon Nuzlocke?
Pokèmon Nuzlocke is a set of rules intended to create greater difficulty in Pokèmon games. Since Pokèmon games do not have any in-built hard modes, players have invented their Pokèmon Nuzlocke Challenge. The challenge was created in 2010 by Nick Franco, a Californian artist, through a Pokèmon fan comic in which he documented playing through Pokemon Ruby while applying two rules to his run. The name originates from the character Ruby’s first caught Pokèmon, Nuzleaf, and John Locke, the character from Lost. Many of its players feel that it encourages the use of Pokèmon that the player would not usually choose and promotes closer bonds with the Pokèmon. Content creators have made the Nuzlocke popular over the years. The rules are not a function in the game but are applied by the player. Over time, players have added their restrictions on the challenge to the essential rules.
How do you get Pokèmon Nuzlocke?
It is super easy. Since it is self-imposed, you can select any Pokèmon game, preferably one you are familiar with, then customize it into a Pokèmon Nuzlocke. There are two essential rules for a Pokèmon Nuzlocke, but you can always add more rules for a greater challenge.
What are the essential rules in the Pokèmon Nuzlocke challenge?
The following two rules must be followed for the Nuzlocke challenge in Pokèmon games:
- If one of your Pokèmon faints, it is considered dead. You have to release it after the battle or keep it in a PC box, but you will never use it again.
- You can only catch the first wild Pokèmon you run through in each route, and if it flees or faints, you do not get a second chance. If the first encounter is a double battle, you can choose which of the two wild Pokèmon to catch.
How do I start a Pokèmon Nuzlocke challenge?
- Get familiar with the rules: Be conversant with the abovementioned two essential rules.
- Start a new Pokèmon game: It is better to start with a game you are familiar with as you ease into the challenge.
- Choose a starting Pokèmon and consider the Pokèmon that may help you on your journey: Choose a reasonable Pokèmon to start with, considering the strengths of the Pokèmon. All Pokèmon have advantages and disadvantages. For example, Tangela has decent stats, but a poor move pool, and Diglet /Dugtrio with powerful moves in their move pool but is very weak against HP and defense.
- Stock up on healing items, any kind of Potions, TMs, and HMs: This is crucial in the Nuzlocke challenge. Poison will bother you in the game, so stock up on Antidotes to prevent your Pokèmon from dying. Potions, Super Potions, Hyper Potions, Max Potions, and Full Restores are necessary to survive this challenge. Revives will be useless in the Pokèmon Nuzlocke since you cannot resurrect your dead Pokèmon. TMs and HMs are essential for a Pokèmon with a poor move pool.
- Create a good Pokèmon team with different types: You will need a unique Pokèmon team with different types of Pokèmon. The teams can go up to six Pokèmon.
- Raise some levels: If your Pokèmon is five levels lower than a Pokèmon you are challenging, you will have a hard time. You can raise more levels by either battling wild Pokèmon over and over or trainers you may have missed.
- Start your journey: When you get to where wild Pokèmon is in a new area, you may only catch the first Pokèmon you encounter. If it faints, you must release it because it is considered dead.
- Find ways that you can earn money: You need Pokedollars to buy healing items, so you will have to sell some of your items or battle a lot of Pokèmon Trainers.
- Repeat the process: Play the Pokèmon Nuzlocke repeatedly, and you will soon become a pro. Good luck!
Best games to do a Nuzlocke Challenge with
|Pokèmon HeartGold and SoulSilver||The story has a balanced difficulty that builds up slowly enough for your team to keep up.|
|Pokèmon Platinum||Considered to be a difficult challenge in the series, Platinum increases the threat of Gym leaders by having more counters.|
|Pokèmon Black and White 2||These are good if you are looking for a sincere challenge and don’t mind losing a few Pokèmon along the journey.|
The Pockèmon Nozlocke is an exciting challenge that has many players hooked. Players have added their twists on the challenge, but generally, the Pokèmon Nuzlocke is what you make it. Set your own rules and create the perfect challenge for yourself.
What is the hardest game to do the Nuzlocke challenge on?
The Pokèmon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. These are dangerous for an unprepared player, with tough Totem Pokèmon and the challenging Island Kahunas.
What is a 2-player variant of Nuzlocke called?
Soul Link. Each Pokèmon is “linked” to a partner on the other player’s team such that if one partner dies, the other does too. It has a few additional rules to allow for cooperative play.
How hard is a Nuzlocke challenge?
Some challenges can be fairly easier than others, but they are generally quite difficult. Some take up to 20 or more attempts to beat.